by Scott Ronalds

The mercury’s finally climbed into the double digits (in Vancouver, at least), cherry blossoms are itching to bloom, and it’s still light out at 7pm. Spring has finally arrived! And with it, tax time. Canadians have until April 30 to file individual tax returns, but many of us do it earlier to avoid the last-minute scramble and to get our hands on any refunds we may be owed.

To assist with your filing, below are the tax documents that you should have received from us this year based on the type of account(s) you hold, along with a brief explanation of their purpose.

Non-registered investment accounts

If you hold a non-registered account, which simply means an investment account other than an RRSP, RRIF or TFSA, we send you a T3 slip for each Steadyhand fund you hold. T3 slips show the capital gains, dividend income (and corresponding dividend tax credit, if applicable), and other forms of investment income that you’re responsible for claiming on your return. These slips were mailed in mid-February.

Note that T3 slips do not include any capital gains (or losses) that you may have incurred from selling or switching units of Steadyhand funds in your non-registered account. The details of your personal transactions can be found on your quarterly account statements.


If you made a contribution(s) to your RRSP between March 2, 2018, and December 31, 2018, we send you an RRSP Contribution Receipt for the total amount of contributions you made over this period. These receipts were mailed in mid-January. If you made a contribution(s) between January 1, 2019, and March 1, 2019, we send you a separate receipt for any contributions made in the first 60 days of the year (this amount can be applied to your 2018 tax return, or to a future year if you choose). These ‘first 60 days’ receipts were mailed the week of March 11.

If you made a redemption from your RRSP in 2018, we send you a T4RSP slip. This slip shows the amount of any redemption(s) you made as well as any withholding tax that we remitted to Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) on your behalf. These slips were mailed at the end of January.


If you hold a RRIF, we send you a T4RIF slip. This slip shows the amount of your redemptions (including your minimum payment and any additional redemptions you may have made) as well as any withholding tax that we remitted to CRA on your behalf. These slips were mailed at the end of January.


If you hold a TFSA, you do not receive any tax slips from us. These accounts are exempt from tax, and any contributions/withdrawals do not generate any tax-related documents. You should be sure, however, to adhere to the maximum contribution limits for these accounts and the rules relating to re-contributions if you do make a withdrawal.

By now, you should have received all your tax-related documents from us. If you’ve misplaced your originals or never received a slip/receipt you think you should have, please contact us at 1-888-888-3147.

Happy filing!